Monday, June 4, 2007

Bug (2007)



Hmmm, how did I feel about this movie? Meh. I see what it was meant to do, but it didn’t get there for me. It was meant to draw the viewer into this psychological descent of several main characters, horrifying the viewer with their deepening madness and ultimate self destruction. But it ended up being sort of laughable, because we are never given cause to care much about the characters. They were never given enough depth/background/humanity/whatever for me to care. Due to that, and the extent of the crazy theories and lines like: “I AM THE QUEEN BUG MOTHER!,” (a few people were openly guffawing at this point in the theatre) the ending comes abruptly leaving one feeling unfulfilled by this movie’s potential.

It did have potential. I will give it that. A nice little claustrophobic setting: the squalid end unit of The Rustic Motel. (given there were only two scenes that occur outside this place, one can see how it was originally a stage play). However, the movie is chock full of unresolved threads and semi-red herrings that just end up frustrating the viewer. And how could they afford all that fricken’ aluminum foil?

There were some nice disturbing scenes and images, one involving a little self dentristry that I think surpasses the scenes in The Marathon Man easily. Also in the saving graces column are some skin shots of Ms. Judd.

Ultimately? Meh. 2 Georges.


2 comments:

The Jesus... said...

Uh Karl - I believe the phrase was "I am the Super Bug Mother," (I've been giggling at it for the last 24 hours after all).

Interesting fact - Ashley wasn't made up to look that, ah, harsh. That's her w/no makeup on. We get to see her in the same glory as her NASCAR husband does.

Another fact - Mr. I'm not an axe murderer reprised his role from the play. I wonder if the dentistry was part of the play or just for us?

Jeff, Dude of Horror said...

In a discussion about this review today, Karl mentioned "Naomi Judd's pert sweaty breasts." I think that phrase really needed to be associated with this review, so there you have it!